About Us

Who We Are

We are a non-profit community organisation.
Built in 1832, the school was in use until 1984. After 152 years of use it has been brought back to life as a thriving community resource by the dedication of the Lamancha and District Community Association. Many eco-friendly features have been incorporated in its renovation including extensive insulation, a ground source heat pump which provides all the heating, photovoltaic panels for electricity and solar panels for hot water.

Acquisition of the land

The local estate had been called Grange of Romanno, but was changed, by Alexander Forrester Cochrane who acquired the Estate in 1736. When James Mackintosh bought the Estate it was in a state of dilapidation. William Chambers tells us (A History of Peebleshire, 1884) that James Mackintosh, in early life, went to India and, by extraordinary diligence, professional skill and economy, realised a considerable fortune. He returned to Scotland and, while still in middle life, was able to bring his ingenuity to bear on the dormant resources of Lamancha.

1736

Lamancha school was built

The ground was given, rent-free, by James Mackintosh of Lamancha. He also supplied much of the building material and the school was built in local sandstone by James Laswon. When the school was opened, the local children assembled at Cowdenburn and marched along the road with James Mackintosh, John Scott (their Teacher) and a Piper called Angus Baillie.

1832

School upgrade

In 1874, the Kirk Session of the Parish handed the building over to the School Board, but preserved the right to use the school for church purposes and a pulpit remained in the classroom. In 1887, James Mackintosh (son of the above James Mackintosh) allocated half an acre of ground on the other side of the main road for a playground.At the end of the century the school roll reaches a peak with 72 children attending and in 1904, another classroom was added in at a cost of £383.18.4d.

1874-1904

Closing of the school

In 1924, the volume of traffic passing along the main road had become so great that it was too dangerous to have the playground on the other side of the road from the school. A new playground was re-sited beside the school. Since then the main road has been re-routed and the playground altered again, but the ground on the other side of the old main road is still called "Old Schoolyard". In 1937, electricity was installed. In 1957, an extension was added which incorporated a new toliet, a cloakroom and a medical room. However, in the 80s, the school roll falls with only 9 children attending which lead to its closing in 1984 after 152 years of use.

1924-1984

Re-appropriation of the school

Local residents began to make enquiries of Scottish Borders Council regarding acquisition of the school and possible conversion into a Community Centre for the District.

2000

Official opening

The Hub was officially opened by Jeremy Purvis MSP on Friday 26th September. It has since grown in size and now provides a huge range of classes and events.

2007-2016


Cilla Davidson

Founder


Maria Halliday

Secretary

Got what it takes?

Each and every one of our trustees represent the spirit of our organisation.

Join Us Now!